Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Dropzone Commander: The age of exploration and first contact




Today we are talking about dropzone commander. I will share couple of toughts about my ucm list and about my last game against Herkkos space squids (Scourge).

Previously i have said that i wanted my UCM to be mostly air based army. So i got myself Falcons, Archangels, Raven A:s, Ferrum and the Pheonix command ship. Last sunday i had my first contact against the Scourge with them. This was our first larger game of 1500pts so Herkko also had some new alien technology with him.

The First contact

This was my list:

Pheonix/1 Falc
Clash: 1453/1500 points
Standard Army
    Standard Roster [1453/1500 pts]
        Field Command [450 pts]
            Phoenix: Phoenix(Captain) [285 pts]
            Ferrum: Ferrum [165 pts]
        Armored Formation [265 pts]
            Katana Squad: 3x Katana [99 pts]
            Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
        Armored Formation [265 pts]
            Katana Squad: 3x Katana [99 pts]
            Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
        Legionnaire Corps [219 pts]
            Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires, Condor, 2x Bear [141 pts]
            ^ Sharing ^ Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires [78 pts]
        Legionnaire Corps [120 pts]
            Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
            Falcon Squad: Falcon [40 pts]
        Air Wing [134 pts]
            Archangel Squad: Archangel [67 pts]
            Archangel Squad: Archangel [67 pts]

Units i have never used in my list was Pheonix, Archangels, Raven A:s Falcon and the Ferrum. Now looking at my list i see that i am just under 50 points short of the 1500. I wonder why... So i could had a second Falcon. Oh well. Herkkos list is a bit under too so it was fair.





Herkkos list was this:

Herkko's list
Clash: 1484/1500 points
Standard Army
    Standard Roster [1484/1500 pts]
        Oppressors [307 pts]
            Desolator: Desolator(Champion) [195 pts]
            Minders: 4x Minder, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
            Minders: 4x Minder, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
        Vanguard [450 pts]
            Reaper Squad: 3x Reaper, Marauder [158 pts]
            Hunter Squad: 6x Hunter, 2x Marauder [292 pts]
        Vanguard [253 pts]
            Reaper Squad: 3x Reaper [117 pts]
            Stalkers: 3x Stalker, Harbinger [136 pts]
        Warriors [237 pts]
            Warrior Horde: 3x Warriors, Marauder, 2x Invader [156 pts]
            ^ Sharing ^ Warrior Horde: 3x Warriors [81 pts]
        Warriors [237 pts]
            Warrior Horde: 3x Warriors, Marauder, 2x Invader [156 pts]
            ^ Sharing ^ Warrior Horde: 3x Warriors [81 pts]


This list is rather scary as i have not faced a squad of 6 hunters before. Those E11 guns are pure evil.
Herkko also had more units i have not faced before. Those were The Desolator, Harbinger and stalkers.

The Scenario of our last game


We played the Land Grab scenario. This scenario uses Focal Points (first time for me with these aswell) Player will score one victory point if he has a unit within 6" of the Focal Point. Also the player with the most amount of units in points cost within 6" of the Focal Point will score an aditional victory point.

This was a fun alternative for the objective or intel based game that Herkko and me have played. Also it put my UCM airlist to a big challenge right of the bat as aircrafts cannot score for Focal Points.


The outcome

In the end i won the game, but not by much. In the last turn my Pheonix got shot down. I had one unit of rapiers scoring in the middle FP, some litle stuff here and there. Herkko also got pretty major casualties. I wont be going into the game with more details as i didnt take any pictures.

Couple thigs that i learned the hard way:

1. Harbinger has an AA-gun! I got one of my Archagel Fast Movers comming out of reserve by rolling a 6 on one dice in the first turn. I attacked a marauder full of invader apc:s, missed with both shots and got shot down by the Harbinger.

2. Scourge infantry in houses are a pain in the *ss! Herkko got two large squads of warriors into building and started popping tanks here an there. Range of 12" combined with the rule that will change 3 hits from a infantry base into a E11 hit is so annoying! all this with an accuracy of 3!

3. Minder swarms... Those litle buggers! 56pts for four minders and an invader beta light dropships is a absolute bargain for the scourge. Minders have gun that can shoot aircrafts and will hit on a 2+. It will also kill most UCM aircrafts on a 4+ as they are armor 5. These little buggers can fly and over work my AA squads, or if i wont shoot them, they will just sit there and reaction fire all my vital aircrafts.

I need to find some way to sort out these problems with my list. I prodably have the solutions in my list already, but i dont just know it yet. If someone has some input to these problems it is greatly appreciaded.

The expolarition

I will keep on practising with my air list. The changes i will make are that i will drop the infantry squads in the bears for infatry squads in Raven A:s instead.

The air list that i have looked online usually have only one unit of rapier AA-tanks, but i im not so conviced about surviving with only one squad yet. I might be changing a rapier squad to a Wolverine A squad tough. But that is a spot for another blog post.

The UCM has a heap of units that i also want to try. I will first build a strong air list and learn to use it and later i will get my hands on kodiak, scimitars, and longbosws!

If you read the whole post i thank you for your intrest and hope that you post a comment as you clearly have some intrest for Dropzone Commander lists.

Also we will be getting a new player for our gaming group! Herkko is having couple of practice games agains Jamo and his Shaltari army. I was suppose to be there aswell but i have so time issues.

Hopefully Herkko and me can arrange a Demo game out our gaming club. It would be awesome to recruit atleast one more player. Then we could have two matches of about 1200pts in the same day prodably!

Until next time! Dont let the space squid bite!


1 comment:

  1. I figured out a thing about the minders! We prodably forgot that the Reaction Fire +2 accuracy modifier aplies to them. Thats even when they have the rule that lets them hit aircrafts on a 2+

    ReplyDelete